In order to support its action towards food sovereignty and family-based farms in the South countries where it is present, ADG works over a series of axes, which constitute its historical program: to reinforce the capacities and abilities of the communities and the organizations; to develop several services; to invest in materials and infrastructures, by giving financial support to agricultural production, its value improvement and the commercialization of surplus; and to support land-use distribution projects.
Nevertheless, experience has demonstrated that these practices are strengthened by other series of activities aimed at the positive evolution of attitudes, practices and policies, towards the people, institutions and values which we stand for.
These activities, because of their political colour, take two complimentary and often intersected paths: the education of citizens, which takes place in Belgium); and the appeal, plea and advocacy of our action.
Which constitutes part of our program and takes diverse forms according to the contexts in which we are present, such as:
- To raise awareness about our values and priorities amongst our partners, and our target audience present in the North as well as in the South.<:li>
- To support the creation, participation and the activities of three types of networks: geographical, such as the local and regional frameworks in the South, or the latin-american platform in Belgium. By topic, such as agroecology, food sovereignty, climate justice, gender and nutrition, administration of natural resources and socio-economical development. And by sector, such as partnerships between development NGO’s that work in the South, or national forums between the actors of Belgian cooperation.
- To participate with our partners in several activities which aim to influence the decision-makers such as politicians, governments and congress men, as well as other key European and Belgian actors.
- To support our partners in the South in the advocacy activities that they organize for the decision-makers and other key actors in their countries, by coordinating with our international associations of NGOs.
- The composition of messages, arguments and reference texts in order to strengthen the diverse advocacy channels.
Our aim is to obtain changes in both the local and international levels; to sponsor the values which we stand for; and to produce a multiplier effect over the efficiency of the work that we are continuously displaying in the field.
These actions traduce into several improvements, such as the assignation of community resources for peasant activities; the emendation of legal codes; the adoption of favorable laws for peasant or biological agriculture; better coordination between local actors; and land-use distribution programs, settled amongst the communities.